Veal, fruit and Cheddar Cheeseburger
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 1 1/3 lb (600 g) lean ground veal
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped onion
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dried cranberries or raisins
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh basil
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cup (160 mL) bread crumbs
- 3 to 4 oz (90 to 120 g) Canadian Cheddar finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 to 6 burger buns
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 cup (250 mL) baby spinach leaves
Preheat BBQ to medium-high or the oven to 425 °F (210 °C).
Place all ingredients, including Cheddar, except garnish and toppings, in a mixing bowl. Season to taste and combine. Divide preparation into four to six parts and shape into patties.
Place patties on grill or on parchment-covered baking sheet on center rack of oven. Cook burgers 12-15 minutes turning them over only once.
Heat burger buns. Mix mayo and mustard and spread on burger buns. Top with spinach and serve.