This recipe is taken from the 1993 Milk Calendar. Make macaroni and cheese more memorable with vegetables and ham.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 45 min - 50 min
- 4 oz (125 g) rotini or other medium-sized pasta
- 1 pkg (1 kg/2,2 lbs) frozen Italian style mixed vegetables
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) ham or sausage cooked and cubed
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) all-purpose flour
- 4 cups (1 L) Milk hot
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) Cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook pasta according to package directions until just tender but firm (al dente). Cook 5 min. Add frozen vegetables. Cook 5 min longer. Drain very well. Combine with Cheddar cheese. Add cooked ham or sausage. Reserve.
Prepare sauce by melting butter in a medium sized saucepan. Add garlic. Cook until fragrant but not brown, about one min. Whisk in flour. Cook 3 min. Whisk in milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Add seasonings. Cook 5 min.
Combine sauce with pasta and vegetable mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Transfer pasta mixture to a buttered 9 x 13-inch (23 x 33 cm) baking dish or 12-cup (3 L) shallow casserole.
Combine bread crumbs with Parmesan cheese and butter. Sprinkle over the pasta mixture. Bake, uncovered, in a preheated 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 30 min.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||70 % / 765 mg|
|Vitamin A:||120 %|