This is the Cheese-Topped Harvest Vegetable Bake recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups (750 mL) cubed eggplant
- 3 cups (750 mL) cubed zucchini
- 2 cups (500 mL) quartered fresh mushrooms
- 1 large green bell pepper minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) cubed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz (210 g) Canadian Mozzarella cheese slices
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C).
In large saucepan, melt butter. Sauté onions and garlic until tender. Add eggplant, zucchini, mushrooms and green bell pepper to pan. Cook and stir over medium heat until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, parsley, oregano and basil. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon mixture into a 6-cup (1.5 L) shallow rectangular casserole or four 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shallow baking dishes.
Slice Canadian Mozzarella cheese into strips and arrange in criss-cross pattern over vegetables. Sprinkle lightly with Canadian Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
Choose eggplant with smooth skin and uniform colour. The eggplant should feel heavy for its size and should bounce back when pressed. Usually smaller eggplants are sweeter and more tender than larger ones.
Nutritional informationPer serving