Marinated in Canadian buttermilk, this oven-fried Canadian-inspired chicken sandwich is moist, juicy and out-of-this-world delicious.
- Prep: 40 minutes
- Cooking: 30 minutes
- Marinating: 8 hours
- 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian buttermilk
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) each kosher salt and pepper
- 4 boneless chicken thighs (about 5 oz/150 g each)
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Canadian butter, melted, divided
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) Montreal steak spice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) maple syrup
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sriracha hot sauce
- 4 oz (125 g) herbed Canadian cream cheese, softened
- 4 everything bagels, split and toasted
- 4 leafy lettuce leaves
- 4 thick slices tomato
- 4 thinly sliced red onion rounds
- 4 slices aged Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 4 slices Oka cheese, or your favourite Canadian cheese
- 4 thick slices bacon, cooked and halved
In bowl, combine buttermilk, mustard, salt and pepper. Add chicken thighs, turning to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours.
Preheat oven to 425 F (220 C). Brush parchment paper–lined baking sheet with half of the melted butter; set aside.
In large shallow dish, whisk together flour and steak spice; set aside.
Dredge chicken in flour mixture; dip in buttermilk mixture and dredge in flour again. Transfer to rack set on tray; let stand for 10 to 15 minutes or until coating is set.
Transfer chicken to prepared baking sheet; drizzle with remaining melted butter. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until coating is golden brown and instant-read thermometer inserted in thickest part of chicken registers 165°F (74°C).
Stir together maple syrup and sriracha; set aside.
Spread cream cheese over bottom half of each bagel. Top with lettuce, tomato, red onion, oven-fried chicken, Cheddar slice, Oka slice and bacon; drizzle with maple syrup mixture. Cap each sandwich with top half of bagel.
Substitute buffalo wing sauce for sriracha hot sauce if preferred.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving