This is the Chewy Caramel Squares with Coffee Frosting recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 35 min - 40 min
- Caramel squares
- 1 cup (250 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) brown sugar lightly packed
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup (430 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) walnuts chopped
- Coffee frosting
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Mascarpone cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) espresso or strong coffee
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
Cream the butter, then beat in the brown sugar. Add the egg and vanilla and mix well. Mix in the flour, followed by the walnuts. Butter and flour a 9-inch (23 cm) square tin. Spread the cake mixture evenly in the tin.
Using a hand mixer, mix the Mascarpone and icing sugar. Add the egg and mix well. Add the coffee and mix well. Pour the frosting over the cake mixture in the tin.
Cook in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes. Allow to cool completely, then cut into squares.