This recipe is taken from the 1984 Milk Calendar. This is the Chicken and Broccoli Casserole recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 55 min - 1 h
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped green onion
- 6 chicken breasts
- 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon juice
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried basil
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Swiss or Canadian Cheddar cheese shredded
- 8 oz (250 g) wide pasta cooked and drained
- 2 tomatoes sliced
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli trimmed and blanched
Heat butter in a large skillet; add green onions and chicken breasts; sprinkle with lemon juice. Cook chicken over medium heat 6 min, turning once; remove chicken.
Add flour to pan juices; cook and stir 2 min. Remove from heat; whisk in milk. Bring sauce to a boil, stirring constantly; cook until thickened. Stir in basil, salt, pepper, parsley and half the cheese.
Place cooked pasta in a buttered baking dish; add half the sauce; arrange tomatoes, broccoli and chicken on top. Cover with remaining sauce; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake in 350 °F (180 °C) oven for 35 min.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||25 % / 273 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||71 %|
|Vitamin C:||59 %|