This comforting Risotto-style dish will be a big hit with families. The twist with this one-pot meal? Influences of ginger and curry that create a fragrant meal that is fast and simple to put on the table.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tsp (10 mL) minced fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried ground ginger
- 2 tsp (10 mL) curry powder
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) basmati rice
- 2 cups (500 mL) 5 % light cream or 10 % half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) water
- 4 cups (1 L) lightly packed chopped baby spinach
- Salt and pepper to taste
In a large deep pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté for 5 min or until onions are softened. Add chicken, ginger and curry powder and cook stirring often, for 5 min or until chicken is lightly browned. Add rice and stir to coat.
Add cream and water and increase heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Stir in spinach. Cover and reduce heat to low; simmer for about 10 min or until rice is tender and chicken is no longer pink inside. Add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and let stand 5 min before serving.
Rice mixture should be slightly runny to spoon out into shallow soup bowls.
For a burst of fresh flavour, garnish with chopped fresh coriander.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||23 % / 253 mg|
|Vitamin A:||57 %|