Chili con carne (Cooking Club Size)
Chili is always a crowd favourite. Serve with crusty whole grain bread and a green salad.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 15
- 3 lb (1.5 Kg) lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) vegetable oil
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 red bell peppers chopped
- 2 green or yellow bell peppers chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) ground cumin
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) salt
- 1 tsp (5 mL) pepper
- 2 cans (28 oz/796 mL each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (5 1/2 oz/156 mL) tomato paste
- 2 cans (19 oz/540 mL each) red kidney beans rinsed and drained
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In large skillet, cook ground beef in two batches over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5 to 8 minutes. Drain in colander.
Meanwhile, in large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and garlic and cook until vegetables are softened, about 10 minutes. Add cooked beef to vegetables, stir well. Stir chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper into mixture to season.
Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 45 minutes; stir occasionally. Add drained beans and simmer another 15 minutes.
Sprinkle Canadian Cheddar cheese before serving.
Cooking Club Tip:Do not add cheese. Cool, divide into portions, label with recipe name and date. Pack cheese separately. When ready to serve, cover and heat in the microwave. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.