This recipe is taken from the 2003 Milk Calendar. The addition of cocoa to this quick bread gives a chocolate flavour but doesn’t take away from the good nutrition of bananas and Milk. A sweet treat your family will love.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter softened
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) mashed ripe banana
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp (10 mL) vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups (560 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) cocoa powder sifted
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) baking soda
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk soured* or buttermilk
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped toasted walnuts
Preheat oven to 350 ºF (180 ºC). Lightly butter or spray 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan.
In large bowl, using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy; beat in banana, eggs and vanilla. In separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir into banana mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of flour and 2 of milk. Stir in walnuts.
Spread into prepared pan. Bake for 60 min or until tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan on rack for 5 min. Turn out onto rack to cool completely.
*To sour milk, spoon 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice or white vinegar into measuring cup; pour in enough milk to make 1 cup (250 mL). Let stand for 5 min, then stir.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 67 mg|