Capture the harvest with fresh vegetables in this hearty yet fresh-tasting chowder. Real cream gives you that real chowder experience. Crusty multi-grain bread with a slice of Canadian cheese on the side makes a great meal.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 red potatoes cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) cubes (about 1-1/4 lbs/625 g)
- 3 cups (750 mL) corn kernels (fresh or frozen, thawed)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour or cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 10% half-and-half or 18% table cream
- Chopped fresh basil
In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat. Sauté celery, garlic, onion, red pepper, 3/4 tsp (3 mL) salt and 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper for about 5 min or until onions are softened. Stir in broth, potatoes, corn and 2 cups (500 mL) water; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 min or until potatoes are almost tender.
Increase heat to medium. Whisk flour into cream and gradually stir into pot. Simmer, uncovered, stirring often, for about 5 min or until slightly thickened (do not let boil). Season to taste with salt and pepper Ladle into warmed bowls and sprinkle with basil.
*This is a lightly thickened chowder, if you prefer a thicker chowder, increase the flour or cornstarch to 3 to 4 tbsp (45 to 60 mL).
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 77 mg|
|Vitamin C:||88 %|
|Vitamin B6:||24 %|