Corn chowder with Holiday salsaOur dietitians' favourite
This is the Corn chowder with Holiday salsa recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- Homemade salsa
- 1 seeded and diced tomato
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped green onion
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) chopped green pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped garlic cloves
- 4 cups (1 L) frozen corn kernels
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) flour
- 4 cups (1 L) sodium-reduced vegetable broth
- 1 can (398 mL) creamed corn no salt added
- 1 1/4 (310) Canadian Monterey Jack grated
- Freshly ground pepper
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Mix all salsa ingredients and let rest at room temperature.
In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat and cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
Add corn kernels and cook 3–4 minutes.
Combine flour with a bit of broth and then add the remaining broth. Pour into saucepan along with creamed corn.
Bring to a boil, then let simmer until thickened.
Melt half of Monterey Jack in chowder. Season to taste.
Serve in cups, garnishing with salsa and remaining Monterey Jack.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 206 mg|
|Vitamin C:||35 %|