Tame the texture of okra and enjoy its delicious flavour when blanched and served cold in a salad.
- Prep: 25 min
- Cooking: 3 min
- 15 to 18 fresh or frozen okras
- 1 can (540 mL) black-eyed peas rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked kernel corn
- 1 red bell pepper finely diced
- 2 green onions minced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) fresh cilantro minced
- 1 cup (250 mL) Canadian Monterey Jack cheese cubed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Zest and juice of 2 limes
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp (2.5 mL) ground cumin
- Few drops pepper sauce (Tabasco)
Cook the okra in a pot of boiling salted water for about 3 minutes. Immerse in a bowl of iced water to stop the cooking process and keep the colour. Drain and cut into rounds.
In a salad bowl, mix the okra, black-eyed peas, corn, bell pepper, green onions, cilantro, cheese and seasoning. Combine all the dressing ingredients and toss with the salad. Serve immediately to prevent the okra from becoming viscous.
The amount of okra in the recipe corresponds to a 1/2 lb (250 g) bag, which can be found in the frozen food section. If you can't find any or don't want to cook okra, replace it with about thirty green beans and prepare the same way.
For a picnic, toss the salad with the dressing only when serving; this will ensure the okra remains green.
Some people use the term "gumbo" when referring to "okra," but gumbo is actually an okra-based dish.
Replace Monterey Jackwith Canadian Cheddar, Havarti or Gouda.
Replace the black-eyed peas with red or black beans.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||33 % / 365 mg|
|Vitamin C:||102 %|
|Vitamin E:||34 %|