This recipe is taken from the 2015 Milk Calendar. Bumbleberries aren’t a berry at all, but simply a term used for a mixture of berries. So come summertime when berries are at their peak, these muffins are a perfect choice.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) cornmeal
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk
- 1/3 cup (75 mL) butter melted and cooled
- 1 egg
- Finely grated zest from 1 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) mixed berries such as raspberries, blueberries and blackberries
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°F). Butter a muffin pan or line with paper liners. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg and lemon zest. Pour over dry ingredients. Sprinkle with berries and stir just until combined.
Spoon into prepared muffin pan (they will be full). Bake for about 20 min or until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 5 min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Cornmeal is often found in the grain or pasta section of the supermarket.
Try adding orange or lime zest and chopped strawberries.
Replace fresh berries with frozen berries right from the freezer.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 107 mg|