This recipe is taken from the 2018 Milk Calendar. When the weather begins to turn cold, snuggle up with this cozy stovetop pasta.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- Broiling Time: 3 min
- 2 hot or sweet Italian sausages about 1/2 lb (250 g) in total
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 medium onion diced
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes cored, seeded and diced, or 14 oz (398) can diced tomatoes
- 1 roasted red pepper cut crosswise into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thin strips
- 12 oz (375 g) cavatappi or scoobi doo pasta about 4 cups (1 L)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) nutmeg
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) extra smooth Canadian Ricotta
- 1 cup (250 mL) lightly packed, coarsely grated Canadian Parmesan divided
- Freshly ground pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Using a sharp knife, slit each sausage down the side. Remove meat and place in a large ovenproof skillet. Add butter and onion. Set over medium heat. Stir to keep meat crumbly and cook until no longer pink, about 5 min. Add tomatoes and red pepper. Cook, stirring, for 3 min to soften tomatoes slightly.
Add pasta to boiling water and cook according to package directions or until al dente, about 8 min. Meanwhile, sprinkle flour, oregano and nutmeg over sausage mixture. Stir to combine. Gradually stir in milk. Stir until mixture boils and thickens, about 3 min. Stir in parsley, Ricotta and half the Parmesan. Remove from heat.
Preheat broiler. Drain pasta very well. Stir into sausage mixture. Add pepper and salt if needed. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Broil for a couple of min or until top is bubbly.
In the supermarket, look for sausage meat that has not been stuffed into the casing to make sausages.
Let your kids pick the pasta. Any short pasta, such as fusilli or rigatoni, would also work well in this dish.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||29 % / 317 mg|
|Vitamin C:||67 %|