Chef Michael Howell from Wolfville, Nova Scotia, created this rich and delicious crab grilled cheese sandwich, which resembles “crab dip” served at parties.
- Prep: 45 min
- Cooking: 6 min - 8 min
- Lemon mayonnaise (recipe follows)
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) crabmeat
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) Canadian Cream cheese softened
- 1 jar (6.5 oz - 185ml) marinated artichokes, drained and chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh parsley chopped
- hot sauce optional
- 4 oz (120 g) smoked Canadian Gouda cut into thin slices
- 4 slices of thick-cut soft italian whole wheat sandwich bread
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) unsalted butter
Prepare lemon mayonnaise and place bread slices on a rack to air-dry for one hour before making sandwiches.
In a medium bowl, combine crab, cream cheese, artichokes, parsley and 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the lemon mayonnaise. Taste and season with pepper. Add a dash of hot sauce for an extra kick.
To assemble the sandwiches, divide half of the cheese slices on two slices of bread and spread the crab mixture on top. Top with remaining cheese and bread. Spread the remaining mayonnaise on the outside of each sandwich.
In a large non-stick skillet, melt butter over medium-low heat. Cook sandwiches, turning once, for 6–8 minutes, or until browned and cheese is melted.
In a small bowl, combine ⅓ cup (80 ml) mayonnaise, 1 tbsp (15 ml) each grated lemon zest and lemon juice; mix well. Allow flavours to blend about 20 minutes.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||52 % / 569 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||60 %|