This recipe is taken from the 2001 Milk Calendar. An irresistible combination of cranberries, apple and walnuts! Dried cranberries are available in the produce section of your local grocery store.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 1 cup (250 mL) Milk soured* or buttermilk
- 1 cup (250 mL) quick-cooking rolled oats
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) peeled and grated apple
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) melted butter
- 1 egg beaten
- Grated rind of 1 lemon
- 1 cup (250 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped walnuts
Preheat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Lightly butter or spray 12 nonstick muffin pan.
In large bowl, pour soured milk or buttermilk over rolled oats; stir to combine. Let stand for 10 min.
In separate bowl, mix together apples, brown sugar, oil, egg and lemon rind. Stir into oat mixture. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda; stir into batter just until moistened. Gently stir in cranberries and walnuts.
Spoon into prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 min or until tops are firm to the touch.
*You can replace buttermilk by sour milk or yogourt. To make sour milk, add 1 tbsp (15 mL) of white vinegar (or lemon juice) to 1 cup (250 mL) milk.
Healthy Eating Tips: Nutty facts- In addition to providing protein and energy, walnuts are also a good source of Vitamin E.
For more information and recipes, visit www.walnutsinfo.org
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 71 mg|