Come the winter months nothing hits the spot more than a steaming bowl of hearty soup. Serve with crusty bread and a crisp green salad.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Carton (900 mL) chicken broth or 4 cups (1 L) homemade broth
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 3/4 lb (340 g) chicken thighs or skinless boneless chicken breast
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) dried thyme
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) orzo
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) 10 % cream
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen corn
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh dill coarsely chopped
Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 min just until onion is tender. Add broth, lemon juice, chicken and thyme to saucepan. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered until chicken is cooked through, 10 to 15 min until no longer pink. Remove chicken to a plate. When cool enough to handle shred meat into bite-size pieces.
Return broth in saucepan to the boil. Add orzo; cook 6 to 8 min until tender. Whisk flour into cream. Add chicken, corn and cream to broth. Stirring frequently bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 min. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh dill.
Soup will thicken the next day, simply thin with cream or chicken broth.
To up the nutrition in this yummy soup add some sliced carrots along with the orzo.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 67 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||32 %|