The sweet flavour of plump red tomatoes compliments the liquorice of the fennel while the creamy goodness of sour cream adds the perfect tang! Roasting the vegetables in butter gives them a warm browned and caramelized flavour.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 45 min - 50 min
- 1 (750 g) large fennel bulb
- 10 Roma tomatoes cored and halved (about 2.2 lb/1 kg)
- 1 large onion cut into 8 wedges
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) melted butter
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) sodium-reduced tomato paste
- 3 cups (750 mL) sodium-reduced chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 5 % sour cream
Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
Trim and coarsely chop fennel bulb; reserve 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fennel fronds for the topping.
In large bowl, gently toss tomatoes, fennel, onion and garlic with melted butter. Arrange vegetables (tomatoes cut side up) on large rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 40 to 45 min or until vegetable are lightly browned and caramelized, remove from oven, cool for 10 minutes.
In small bowl, combine Canadian Feta cheese, 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the reserved fennel fronds, red onion and pepper; set aside.
Working in batches, transfer half the roasted vegetables and any accumulated juices to food processor or blender; add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of the tomato paste and 3/4 cup (180mL) of the chicken stock; puree until smooth. Transfer to medium saucepan, repeat with remaining vegetables, tomato paste and 3/4 cup (180 mL) chicken broth. Stir in remaining chicken stock and sour cream; heat over medium-low heat, stirring often until well combined and heated through.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with Feta cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||13 % / 148 mg|
|Vitamin C:||77 %|
|Vitamin A:||20 %|