This is the Dark and Stormy Grilled Cheese recipe.
- Prep: 30 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 12 min
- Grilled cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) mayonnaise
- A generous pinch of ground Szechwan peppercorn
- Dash of lime juice
- 2 oz (60 g) chopped meat from a ready cooked Chinese barbecue duck
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) smoky barbecue sauce
- 2 slices of Fox Hill Medium Gouda
- 4 sprigs of fresh coriander chopped
- 2 slices of dark rye bread about1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) melted butter
- Grilled Vegetable Salad
- 1 Slice from large red onion 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick
- 1 zucchini sliced 1/8-inch (3 mm) thick
- 1 red bell pepper quartered
- 1 yellow bell pepper quartered
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Dash of lemon juice or lime juice
- 1 zucchini flower
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Grilled Vegetable Salad:
Heat grill to medium.
In large bowl, toss onion slice, zucchini and bell peppers in olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Grill vegetables until just cooked, about 3 minutes.
After grilling, separate onion slice into rings, keeping larger rings for sandwich and tossing smaller ones with remaining vegetables. Cool briefly and toss with lemon or lime juice. Add a little more olive oil if desired.
Increase heat on one side of grill to high and turn other side off. Preheat 5 minutes.
In small bowl, combine duck meat with barbecue sauce.
Take one slice of bread and coat one side with half of butter. Mix mayonnaise, lime juice and Szechwan pepper and spread half of mixture on unbuttered side of bread. Place one lice of Gouda on mayonnaise side of bread, top with reserved onion rings, chopped coriander, duck and other slice of cheese. Spread remaining mayonnaise on other slice of bread and place on top of sandwich. Brush remaining butter atop bread. Press down on sandwich to compress a bit.
Place sandwich on unlit side of barbecue and press down with a spatula to compress. Close lid. Heat 3-4 minutes or until bread is crispy and cheese is beginning to melt. Flip sandwich carefully and press down. Close lid again and heat another 3-4 minutes.
Remove from grill, cut in half and serve with Grilled Vegetables Salad and a zucchini flower.
Smoked turkey or chicken may be used instead of duck.
Canadian Swiss or Raclette may be used instead of Gouda.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving