This recipe is taken from the 1995 Milk Calendar. This is the Date and Nut Muffins recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (250 mL) wheat bran
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (250 mL) pitted dates chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) walnuts or pecans chopped
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) butter melted
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) molasses or honey
- 12 walnut or pecan halves - optional
Combine all-purpose flour with bran, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Stir in dates and nuts.
In another bowl, whisk egg with milk, butter and molasses. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture just until combined.
Spoon batter into 12 buttered or paper-lined muffin cups. Place a nut on each muffin, if desired. Bake in a preheated 400 °F (200 °C) oven for 20 to 25 min.
For Raisin Bran Muffins, omit dates and nuts and add 1/2 cup (125 mL) raisins.