This recipe is taken from the 1998 Milk Calendar. This is an easy all-purpose meal. You can improvise your own stuffing next time you try it. -James Barber
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) spinach blanched
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts slightly flattened
- 2 thin slices of ham cut in halves
- 1/4 red bell pepper cut in thin strips
- Alfredo Sauce
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) 35 % cream
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- of ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
Squeeze spinach until very dry and divide evenly over chicken breasts. Top each breast with a half slice of ham and red bell pepper strips. Roll up firmly, beginning at thinnest end of breast. Secure each breast with a toothpick and place seam side down in a single layer in loaf pan or casserole; set aside.
In a small saucepan, melt butter. Add flour and garlic, stirring to blend well. Add remaining ingredients including cream except fresh parsley and bring to a simmer, stirring until smooth and slightly thickened. Pour over chicken rolls.
Cover loaf pan and bake for 20 minutes, turning chicken once. Uncover and stir sauce, spooning over the chicken. Continue to bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until chicken is firm.
To serve, remove chicken rolls and cut each in half or in several slices. Whisk sauce until smooth. Place chicken on a bed of rice or pasta and spoon sauce over top. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||23 % / 250 mg|
|Vitamin A:||47 %|
|Vitamin B6:||40 %|
|Vitamin B12:||34 %|