This recipe is taken from the 2017 Milk Calendar. Updated for the conscientious foodie, this vegetarian meal can be served over rice or on its own with a dollop of yogurt.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) bottled Thai red curry paste
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) minced ginger
- 1 large peeled sweet potato cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 small zucchini cut into bite-size chunks
- 1 red pepper cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) water
- 28 oz (796 mL) can chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 lime
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh coriander
In large non-stick frying pan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Cook onion, stirring, 2 min. Add curry paste and ginger. Cook, stirring, 1 min. Add sweet potato, zucchini, red pepper, salt and water. Stir. Cook covered, stirring occasionally until vegetables soften, about 10 min. Add chickpeas and finely grated zest and juice from lime. Stir frequently until vegetables are tender and liquid has evaporated, about 5 min.
Whisk flour into milk. Then gradually stir into pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium; stirring occasionally, simmer 5 min. Stir in coriander and salt if needed.
Chickpeas are rinsed and drained to remove the starchy liquid and excess salt.
Try starting with less curry paste then gradually increase it.
Thai green or yellow curry paste would work well too.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||19 % / 209 mg|
|Vitamin C:||87 %|
|Vitamin A:||36 %|