This recipe is taken from the 2017 Milk Calendar. A great stuffing makes every festive meal better. Updated with fresh fall fruit, this recipe is a soon-to-be holiday favourite.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 48 min
- 7 cups (1.75 L) Italian, sourdough or white bread cut into 1-inch (2.5 cm) cubes, about ½ loaf
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup (250 mL) milk
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) butter
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 apple unpeeled and diced
- 1 ripe pear unpeeled and diced
- 2/3 cup (150 mL) hazelnuts coarsely chopped, a 100 g pkg
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C). To dry out bread, place on a large baking sheet and bake for 15 min, stirring once. Butter a 10-inch (25 cm) casserole dish. In a large bowl, whisk eggs with milk. Add bread and stir.
Meanwhile,in a large frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onions with celery until tender, about 3 min. Stir in fruit, hazelnuts, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper. Add to bread mixture; stir to combine. Pour into prepared dish. Bake about 45 min or until puffed and hot in centre.
Use day-old bread, if you can. It’s even better.
Let your children cut the bread into cubes. If they’re too young for a knife, they can help by tearing bread into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
Remove an Italian sausage from casing and cook along with onion and celery.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 107 mg|
|Vitamin E:||23 %|