This is the Fish & Cheddar tacos recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 25 min
- 2 tsp (10 mL) butter melted
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) chili powder
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 lb (450 g) white fish fillets (halibut, cod, haddock, etc.)
- 1 onion cut into rings
- 1 red pepper quartered
- 1 yellow pepper quartered
- 1 jalapeno pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) cilantro coarsely chopped
- 12 small tortillas or taco shells
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) lettuce chopped
- 2 cups (500 mL) Canadian Old Cheddar grated
- Sour cream (optional)
In a bowl, mix butter and chili powder together. Season with pepper. Brush fish with some spicy butter. Add onion and peppers to butter and mix to coat.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat or oven to 450°F (230°C).
Transfer onion and peppers to the grill or a baking sheet. Cook, lid closed if grilling, for 15 min, turning a few times. Add fish and cook for 5–10 more min depending on thickness of fillets. The vegetables should be browned and tender. Remove from heat.
Finely chop vegetables and mix with jalapeno pepper, lemon juice and cilantro to make a veggie salsa. Season with salt and pepper.
Briefly heat tortillas on the grill or in the oven.
Fill tortillas with lettuce, fish, veggie salsa and cheese. Serve with sour cream, if desired.
Is one of your kids a professional cheese grater? Ask them to grate the cheddar and set it aside for later.
Your little chefs can also help you assemble the tacos once all the ingredients are ready!
Grill more fragile types of fish on a buttered sheet of aluminum foil.
Cheese alternative: Canadian Mild or Medium Cheddar, Monterey Jack.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||22 % / 360 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||58 %|
|Vitamin C:||96 %|
|Vitamin D:||76 %|