A fresh-tasting variation on lasagna that delivers hearty flavour. A perfect way to use the zucchini that start turning up in grocery stores and farmers’ markets in fall.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h 10 - 1 h 15
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 chopped onion
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 1 lb (450 g) extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 lb (225 g) lean ground pork
- 1 can (796 mL) diced tomatoes no salt added
- 1 can (156 mL) tomato paste no salt added
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Provolone shredded
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Mozzarella shredded
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Friulano shredded
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) Canadian Mild Cheddar shredded
- 5 medium zucchini cut lengthwise, sliced thick
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic for 2 minutes. Add meat and cook for 5 minutes. Break up meat by stirring. Incorporate tomatoes, tomato paste and herb; add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and let simmer 30 minutes on medium-low heat.
Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
Mix the 4 shredded cheeses together in one bowl.
Spread out zucchini slices on baking sheets and cook in the oven for 12–15 minutes. Transfer to a colander and let drain for 5 minutes.
Cover bottom of a lasagna dish with meat sauce. Arrange zucchini slices slightly overlapped in a single layer. Top with meat sauce and cheese. Repeat layers: zucchini, meat sauce and top with cheese. Cook in the oven for 20 minutes or until cheese is golden brown. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Choose extra-lean meat to avoid excess liquid and fat. The recipe can be easily frozen before or after cooking. If uncooked and frozen, cook at 325 °F (160 °C) for 1 hour 15 minutes; for precooked and frozen, cook 15 minutes less.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||31 % / 346 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||89 %|
|Vitamin C:||61 %|