This recipe is taken from the 2010 Milk Calendar. Friday nights are custom-made for an interactive family meal – especially one that’s as easy to make as this. Everyone can talk about their week and plans for the weekend while dipping their favourite vegetables and other dippers into this warm, cheesy fondue.
- Prep: 15 min - 20 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 mL) dry mustard or Dijon mustard
- 2 cups (500 mL) shredded Canadian Sharp Cheddar (about 8 oz/240 g)
- 4 cups (1 L) raw vegetable pieces (celery sticks, baby carrots, cauliflower florets, sweet pepper strips, broccoli florets, green beans, etc.)
- 2 cups (500 mL) strips cooked chicken breast or large cooked shrimp (or a combination)
- 4 slices whole-grain bread toasted and cut into cubes.
In a small saucepan, whisk together milk, garlic, flour and mustard. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, for about 7 min or until starting to simmer and thicken. Reduce heat to low.
Add one small handful of cheese at a time to the pan, whisking constantly, adding the next handful when it is melted. After the last addition of cheese, cook, still whisking, for 3 to 5 min or until slightly thickened and silky smooth.
Place saucepan on a heat-proof trivet on the table or, if desired, transfer to a ceramic fondue pot over a flame to keep warm. Serve with vegetables, chicken and toast cubes for dipping, using fondue forks, if desired.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||34 % / 379 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||37 %|
|Vitamin C:||82 %|