Are you looking for a way to use up your leftover herbs? These frozen herbal butter ice cubes are a simple and delicious food hack that prevents food waste while creating the perfect flavour enhancer for homemade cooking.
- Prep: 15 minutes
- ½ cup (125 ml) Canadian butter, at room temperature
- 2-4 tbsp (30-60 ml) fresh herbs, rinsed, air-dried, and minced (such as basil, parsley, cilantro, chives, etc.)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (optional)
- ½ tsp (3 ml) fresh lemon zest, finely grated (optional)
- Salt, to taste (depending on whether you use salted or unsalted butter)
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
In a bowl, add the softened butter, chopped herbs, garlic, lemon zest and salt. Adjust the amount of herbs according to your preference. Mix until thoroughly combined.
Once mixed, transfer the mixture to an ice cube tray or a 2-tablespoon tray.
Place the tray in the freezer and allow the butter mixture to freeze for a minimum of 8 hours.
Once frozen, remove the herb cubes from the ice cube trays and place them in a freezer-safe container, freezer-safe bag, or plastic bags. Store for up to eight months.
- The frozen cubes can be added to your favorite pasta sauce, used as a base for soups when sautéing onions, or used to sauté fresh vegetables, or meat.
- You can use any herbs you like for this recipe, including rosemary, basil, parsley, cilantro, chives, and more.