Smoothies are a great addition to a balanced breakfast. This recipe includes a a full serving of fruit and yogurt, as well as fibre.
- Prep: 5 min
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 2% plain yogurt divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) frozen mixed berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and/or strawberries)
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) natural wheat bran
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sliced almonds (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) liquid honey
In a blender, purée half the yogurt, along with berries, bran, almonds (if using) and honey until smooth; add remaining yogurt and pulse until blended. Pour into chilled glasses or travel cups and serve immediately.
Bags of mixed frozen berries are terrific to keep on hand and are much more economical than buying fresh when they’re not in season. If you do have fresh berries, freeze them on a baking sheet until solid, then transfer to a freezer bag or airtight container. Use them frozen to add a thick texture to smoothies.
The almonds create a twist by adding texture and a nutty flavour to the smoothie, though you can leave them out if you prefer.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||33 % / 363 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||52 %|