Nothing says the holiday season like gingerbread. And although cookies and houses are a classic, why not switch things up. This recipe is sure to be a new festive favourite. Soft and delicate gingerbread cake topped with rich cream cheese icing made with quality Canadian dairy and milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
- Prep: 10 min
- Resting: 1 hour
- Cooking: 20 min
- 1 cup (250 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking soda
- ½ tsp (2.5 ml) baking powder
- ¼ tsp (1.25 ml) ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp (0.5 ml) salt
- ½ cup (125 ml) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (60 ml) unsalted Canadian butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) fancy molasses
- ½ cup (125 ml) 2% Canadian milk, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) unsalted Canadian butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (250 ml) Canadian cream cheese, at room temperature
- 6 cups (1,500 ml) icing sugar
- 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 ml) 35% Canadian cream
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- Holiday-shaped sprinkles, such as gingerbread men and silver dragées
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Position rack in centre of oven, then preheat to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin pan with liners.
Stir flour with ginger, cinnamon, baking soda and powder, allspice and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
Beat granulated sugar with ¼ cup butter in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until combined. Beat in egg and molasses, then milk, until combined. Beat in flour mixture just until smooth. Divide batter evenly amongst liners.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the centre of a cupcake comes out clean, 18 to 20 min. Cool cupcakes in the pan on a wire rack for 10 min. Then remove cupcakes from pan and cool completely, about 1 hr.
Meanwhile, beat 1 cup butter with cream cheese in a large bowl, using an electric mixer on medium, until fluffy.
Reduce speed to low and gradually beat in icing sugar until combined. Beat in cream and vanilla. Increase speed to medium-high and beat for 1 min. Scoop icing into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
Pipe icing onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles and/or grated chocolate, if desired.
Reduce icing recipe by half if you prefer less icing.