Peaches and tomatoes? This mouthwatering variation on everyone’s favourite Italian salad also tastes great with grilled pork or chicken.
- Prep: 10 min
- 3 large red tomatoes sliced
- 1 Canadian Fresh Mozzarella sliced
- 2 peaches or nectarines pitted and sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) homemade (see recipe below) Thai Basil Pesto or any other store-bought pesto
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- Thai Basil Pesto
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) slivered almonds
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 cups (500 mL) fresh Thai basil leaves
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Canadian Parmesan grated
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
On a serving plate, arrange tomatoes, Mozzarella and peaches or nectarines.
Mix pesto with water, drizzle over salad or serve separately.
Thai basil Pesto:
Place almonds in a skillet and toast on medium heat, stirring frequently. Let cool.
With a food processor, chop garlic with almonds. Add basil and Parmesan. Process until everything is finely chopped. With the machine running, gradually add oil through the top. Season to taste and transfer to a jar. Cover and store in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Makes approx. 1/2 cup (125 mL) of pesto.
Thai basil Pesto: Pesto can be frozen in ice cube trays and used to add flavour to many different dishes such as soup, pasta and vegetables.
Cheese alternatives for Fresh Mozzarella: Canadian Fior di Latte, Bocconcini.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||3 % / 33 mg|
|Vitamin A:||16 %|
|Vitamin C:||27 %|
|Vitamin E:||16 %|