This recipe is taken from the 2006 Milk Calendar. Pasta salad takes a trip to the Mediterranean with lemon, oregano and the zip of feta in this creamy yet light dressing.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 8 min
- 1 1/4 cups (310 mL) Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese (about 4 oz / 125 g)
- 2 cloves garlic thinly chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon rind
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) red or white wine vinegar
- Pasta Salad
- 12 oz (375 g) small shells or other small pasta (about 4 cups /1 L)
- 1/2 English cucumber diced
- 2 cups (500 mL) grape or cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) diced red onion
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta cheese
- Black olives (optional)
- Fresh oregano for garnish (optional)
In blender or food processor, blend milk, Feta cheese, garlic, oregano, lemon rind and salt until smooth. With motor running, drizzle lemon juice and vinegar through hole in lid or feed tube until blended. Transfer to large bowl; let stand for 10 min or until thickened.
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for about 8 min or until tender but firm; drain. Rinse under cold running water until cool; drain well.
Add to dressing in bowl with cucumber, tomatoes and onion; toss to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with crumbled Feta. Garnish with olives and oregano (if using).
If making salad ahead, toss pasta with half of dressing and keep remaining dressing separate. Cover and refrigerate salad and dressing for up to 1 day. Toss with remaining dressing just before serving.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 220 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||32 %|