Before all of the frightful sugary treats, fill your little one's bellies with wholesome goodness of Macaroni and Canadian Cheese. This simple stovetop recipe can be whipped up as fast as a cauldron of goo and it's the perfect night to coerce kids into something green. While pasta is cooking, make your sauce and assemble when ready to serve. It's just that simple!
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 10 min - 15 min
- 3 cups (750 mL) enriched macaroni or other small pasta
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) broccoli florets
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cup (375 mL) 2 % Milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) 35 % cream
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby spinach or arugula leaves
- 3 cups (750 mL) shredded Canadian Old white Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (250 mL) freshly grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package directions, until tender; drain well.
Meanwhile in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; cook broccoli and onion until softened, about 3 min. Stir in nutmeg. Add milk and cream; cook stirring often, for 8 to 10 min or until slightly thickened and broccoli is tender. Stir in spinach and remove from heat.
In a blender or with an immersion blender, puree until smooth or desired consistency. Stir in macaroni to coat; stir in Canadian Cheddar and Parmesan cheese until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand for 5 min before serving.
Slice up broccoli stems to use in soups or with dips. Add 2 cups (500 mL) diced grilled chicken or ham.
Tip for the Adventurous:Substitute Canadian smoked Gouda or Canadian-Swiss for the Old Cheddar.
Time Saving Tip: Make ahead and reheat, adding more milk if too thick.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||66 % / 730 mg|
|Vitamin A:||52 %|
|Vitamin B12:||51 %|