Recipe from Chef Richard Julien
Asparagus is such a popular spring and summer side dish! Adding a creamy berry-based dressing is a perfect complement to the grilling of the asparagus.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 5 min - 8 min
- 2 lbs (1 Kg) asparagus trimmed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 10 sprigs fresh thyme leaves pulled from stems
- 2 cloves garlic quartered
- 1 small shallot quartered
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) buttermilk
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) 35 % cream
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) raspberry vinegar
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) liquid honey
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp (5 mL) grated lemon zest
- 1 cup (250 mL) fresh raspberries
Preheat barbecue to medium-high heat (400 °F/200 °C). In a bowl, toss together asparagus, oil, salt and pepper.
In a blender, combine thyme, garlic, shallot, buttermilk, cream, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and zest. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Puree dressing into a smooth consistency. Adjust seasoning if necessary. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Place asparagus on greased grill; close lid and grill, turning halfway, until tender-crisp and lightly charred, about 5 to 8 minutes.
To serve, place asparagus on a serving dish; drizzle with the raspberry dressing and top with fresh raspberries.
Roll the lemon firmly with your hands to release the juice under the skin of the lemon. If you do not have a zester, use the parmesan grater portion of a box grater to remove the yellow zest from the lemon.
Peel the ends of the asparagus with vegetable peeler if the asparagus is thick and woody.
For easier grilling, place asparagus in a grill basket or rectangular grill topper.
Roast asparagus in 400°F (200°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender, turning halfway through.
You can replace buttermilk with sour milk. Add 3/4 tsp (3 mL) raspberry vinegar (or lemon juice) to 1/4 cup (60 mL) milk. Let rest a few minutes before using.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||7 % / 77 mg|
|Vitamin C:||30 %|
|Vitamin E:||25 %|