This recipe is taken from the 2014 Milk Calendar. "Squeezing in quality time over dinner is an important part of our family’s day. This is one of our favourite meals to catch up over — it’s easy to prepare, healthy and a hit with my husband and three daughters."
- Recipe from Jennifer Eastman from Kinburn, Ontario
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min - 35 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 small onion minced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped celery
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/3 cups (330 mL) Milk
- 1 can (370 mL) 2 % evaporated milk
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups (500 mL) macaroni
- 3 cups (750 mL) small broccoli florets
- 1 cup (250 mL) Black Forest Ham diced or cooked bacon crumbled (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) fresh multigrain bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) dried Italian seasoning
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Butter an 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; sauté onion and celery for about 3 min or until lightly golden. Sprinkle with flour; cook stirring for 1 min. Whisk in milk and evaporated milk; cook, stirring for about 5 min or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar and Parmesan cheeses, salt and pepper.
Meanwhile in a large pot of boiling water, cook macaroni for 5 min or until almost tender. Add broccoli; cook for 1 min. Drain and add to sauce along with ham (if using); stir to coat. Spread into prepared casserole dish.
In small bowl, combine butter, bread crumbs and Italian seasoning. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 min or until bubbly and golden.
Look for macaroni with added fibre for a nutritious boost.
For a quick preparation, cook the macaroni and broccoli until tender in third step and instead of assembling in a casserole dish, return to the pot and add the sauce; omit the topping and serve the pasta right away.
Use chopped asparagus or rapini in place of the broccoli and 1/2 cup (125 mL) chopped cured chorizo sausage in place of the ham; use Canadian smoked or Sharp Provolone in place of the Cheddar cheese.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||73 % / 800 mg|
|Vitamin C:||129 %|