This is the Hearty Tex-Mex Bake recipe.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans or kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (250 mL) corn kernels thawed if frozen
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) chunky salsa
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh coriander
- 2 tsp (10 mL) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) ground cumin
- 4 small whole wheat flour tortillas (about 7 inches/18 cm in diameter)
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes quartered
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) broken tortilla chips preferably baked
- 4 Kalamata olives halved
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 11 x 7-inch (28 x 18 cm) baking dish.
In a medium bowl, coarsely mash beans. Stir in corn, salsa, coriander, chili powder and cumin.
Place 2 tortillas overlapping, in bottom of prepared dish and spread half of the bean mixture. Top with 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomatoes and sprinkle with 1/3 cup (80 mL) Canadian Monterey Jack cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, bean mixture, 1/2 cup (125 mL) tomatoes and half of the remaining cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes or until heated through and tomatoes have softened. Top with tortilla chips, olives and remaining tomatoes and cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.
For a change of pace, use Canadian Cheddar or a combination of Canadian Cheddar and Mozzarella cheeses instead. Choose baked tortilla chips as a healthy alternative.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||26 % / 288 mg|