This recipe is taken from the 1974 Milk Calendar. This is the Home-Style Chicken Stew recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 1 (3 1/2 to 4 lb / 1.5 kg to 2 kg) chicken cut up
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups (500 mL) boiling water
- 1 tsp (5 mL) poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) dried thyme
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 2 cups (500 mL) thinly sliced carrots
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) sliced celery
- 5 small onions halved
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) frozen peas
Place chicken pieces in a large saucepan. Dissolve chicken bouillon cubes in boiling water. Pour over chicken in the pan. Add poultry seasoning, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer 45 min or until tender. Remove chicken.
Add carrots, celery and onions to broth; simmer 20 min longer or until vegetables are just tender.
Meanwhile, remove bones and skin from chicken meat. Cut into bite-size pieces. Combine flour and milk. Add to saucepan slowly, along with peas and stir constantly until smoothly thickened and mixture comes to the boil. Add chicken and heat through.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||10 % / 113 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||46 %|
|Vitamin B6:||53 %|