This saucy meal-in-a bowl has all four food groups, is prepared in one pot and ready to serve in 30 minutes - satisfying, colourful and healthy!
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) liquid honey
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) soy sauce
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 minced cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 1 lb (450 g) boneless beef grilling steak cut into thin strips
- 2 1/2 cups (625 mL) low sodium beef broth
- 8 oz (250 g) spaghetti broken in half
- 2 cups (500 mL) baby carrots sliced in half crosswise
- 8 oz (225 g) sugar snap peas (about 2 cups/500 mL)
- 1 can (14 oz/398 mL) baby corn drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp (5 mL) rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 green onion sliced
In a measuring cup or bowl, whisk together 1 cup (250 ml) of milk, honey, soy sauce, flour and garlic to taste; set aside.
Heat a large pot over medium-high heat; melt half the butter. Brown beef in two batches, for about 2 min, adding remaining butter; transfer beef to a bowl.
Increase heat to high and stir in beef stock and remaining milk; scraping up brown bits stuck to the pot; bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in pasta and carrots; reduce heat and simmer gently, stirring often, for about 8 min or until pasta is almost tender.
Whisk milk mixture and stir into pot with sugar snap peas, baby corn and beef with any accumulated juices. Increase heat to high and cook, stirring for about 5 min or until vegetables are tender-crisp and sauce has thickened slightly. Stir in rice vinegar. Serve sprinkled with green onions.
Cooking Tips: Save time and use a garlic press, it’s not necessary to peel the garlic and purchase ready- to-use broth and prewashed sugar snap peas.
If sugar snap peas are not available use snow peas or frozen, thawed green beans.
For the Adventurous: Add 1 tsp (5 ml) or to taste of Asian chili garlic sauce to the milk mixture and 1/4 cup (50 ml) chopped fresh cilantro with the green onions.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||16 % / 172 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||65 %|