Jonah Crab Cakes
A little cream goes a long way, especially in these moist, yet flakey, crab cakes. The cream enhances the flavour of the crab and the fish. For a stunning presentation, serve these crab cakes topped with diced tomatoes and baby arugula.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- Refrigeration: 12 h - 13 h
- 1 lb (450 g) crabmeat
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) white pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- of Kosher salt
- 8 oz (250 g) halibut or haddock fillet or cod finely chopped
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) 35 % cream
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) dry bread crumbs
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) butter
- Optional Garnish
- 1 large tomato seeded and diced
- Baby arugula
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a bowl combine crabmeat, parsley, lemon juice, green onion, mustard, pepper, Tabasco and Worcestershire sauces and salt; set aside. In large bowl combine chopped halibut, egg, cream and bread crumbs; mix gently. Stir in crab mixture; cover and refrigerate overnight.
Form crabmeat mixture into 10 cakes (each, about 1/3 cup/ 80 mL). Chill for a minimum of 1 hour or up to overnight.
Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). Line baking sheet with parchment.
Heat a large skillet over medium high heat; add half the butter and swirl to coat pan. Add half of the crab cakes and brown on both sides. Place on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining butter and crab cakes. Bake 12 minutes or until cooked through. Garnish with diced tomato and baby arugula.
If using frozen crabmeat, thaw in the refrigerator. Place in a sieve; if necessary remove any cartilage and press firmly to remove liquid. Pat fillets dry before chopping. If crab mixture is too moist to shape into cakes, add more breadcrumbs one teaspoon at a time
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||6 % / 63 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||304 %|