Recipe from Bal Arneson
Perfect for entertaining, this hearty salad stars lentils brightened with the tang of feta.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 1 h
- 1 cup (250 mL) dried brown lentils
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) olive oil
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) cumin seeds
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garam masala
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium lemon zest and juice (optional)
- 2 large kale leaves chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) roasted cashews
- 1 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) crumbled Canadian Feta
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
In a saucepan, bring lentils and 8 cups (2 L) water to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 45–60 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool.
To make salad dressing, heat oil on medium heat in a skillet. Cook mustard and cumin seeds, garam masala, salt and pepper for 15 seconds. Let cool and add lemon zest and juice, if desired.
In a large bowl, toss to combine lentils, kale, cherry tomatoes, cashews, onion, Feta and salad dressing. Serve.
You can use canned lentils; drain and rinse before adding to the rest of ingredients.
Cheese alternatives: Diced Canadian Bocconcini, Cheddar or Havarti
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||20 % / 224 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||32 %|