Luscious Lemon Cake with Lemon Cream Sauce
Sponge cake- like in texture but with considerably less fat, this moist lemon cake bursts with refreshing flavour in each bite. It serves 6 with yummy leftovers that can be packed for a lunch-time treat. Don't be fooled by the simplicity of this cake, it's a dazzling finish to a meal! Garnish with fresh mint if you like.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 35 min
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) baking powder
- of salt
- Grated zest of 2 lemons reserve 1 tsp (5 mL) for Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1 1/4 cup (310 mL) sugar
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2 % plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter melted
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) baking soda
- Lemon Cream Sauce
- 1 cup (250 mL) 2 % plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) sugar
- 2 cups (500 mL) prepared fresh, frozen or drained canned fruit
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C). Butter a 10-inch (25 cm) Bundt pan.
In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, salt and zest. In a large bowl whisk sugar, yogurt, butter, lemon juice and eggs, until combined; whisk in baking soda. Using a large spoon, add flour mixture, one-third at time, stirring after each addition, just until batter is blended.
Spread into prepared pan, smoothing top. Bake for 35 minutes or until a tester comes out clean. Let cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack, remove pan and cool completely.
Lemon Cream Sauce
:In a small bowl stir together yogurt, sugar and reserved 1 tsp (5 mL) lemon zest. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve or up to 2 days.
Cut eighteen 1/2 -inch (1 cm) slices of the lemon cake. Place 3 slices of cake on each serving plate. Drizzle with Lemon Cream Sauce; spoon fruit on top.
- Save money and buy yogurt in larger tubs and divvy portions into re-usable containers. Yogurt can vary considerably in fat content. Those with 2 % M.F. or less are lower in fat.
- No Bundt cake pan, don't worry! Bake in 8-inch (20 cm) square baking pan for 40 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
- Save time and money and bake this Luscious Lemon Cake once and use twice. Pack leftover slices into lunch bags or use to make mini trifles. Wrap and freeze leftover cake to use another time ' a ready made dessert, how perfect is that'
- Lemons: Scrub and dry the lemons and grate the zest before juicing them.To extract maximum amount of juice, bring lemons to room temperature and then roll them on the counter with pressure to break up the juice cells. Leftover juice can be stored covered in the refrigerator for a few days or frozen for future use.
- Canned and frozen fruit are an excellent alternative when fresh fruits are costly. Look for canned fruit packed in unsweetened juice. Drain canned fruit before using, saving the liquid to add to milk smoothies. Try canned or frozen fruits in milk smoothies, added to baked goodies or mixed with yogurt or cottage cheese for a quick healthy dessert idea. For a clever idea, extend your fresh fruit, by combining it with canned or frozen thawed fruit.
- For a restaurant- trendy yet easy dessert idea, layer cubed Luscious Lemon Cake with yogurt and fruit in individual glasses.
- Try vanilla yogurt instead of the Lemon Cream Sauce.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 156 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||22 %|