By Anna Olson
- Prep: 12 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) milk divided
- 1 cup (250 mL) coarsely shredded Canadian Asiago cheese
- 1 1/4 cups (300 mL) shredded Canadian Mozzarella cheese divided
- 2 cups (500 mL) 1-inch (2.5 cm) chopped green beans blanched, or thawed if frozen
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces cooked chicken *
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped pitted kalamata olives
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) sliced sundried tomatoes
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh basil (or 2 tsp/10 mL dried)
- 1 pkg (340 g) whole wheat penne pasta cooked according to package directions
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) dry breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 375° F (190 °C) and lightly butter an 8-cup (2 L) casserole dish.
In a medium saucepan, over medium heat, melt butter. With a wooden spoon stir in flour, cook stirring until the mixture smells slightly nutty (but does not colour), about 2 minutes. While constantly whisking, slowly add ½ cup (125 mL) milk, until absorbed. Gradually, whisk in ½ cup of milk and continue to whisk constantly until absorbed. Whisk in milk in 2 more additions and bring to a simmer, whisking often. Reduce heat to low and gradually stir in Asiago cheese and 1 cup (250 mL) mozzarella cheese; stir until melted. Stir in green beans, chicken, olives, sundried tomatoes and basil. Warm through and stir in pasta. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Spoon pasta into prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with breadcrumbs mixed with remaining ¼ cup (60 mL) mozzarella cheese. Bake uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes, or until edges of casserole are bubbling. Spoon into dishes to serve.
* Chicken: Use chopped leftover cooked chicken or cook two large breasts, about 5 oz (150 g) each and then chop into 1-inch (2.5 cm) pieces.
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||59 % / 649 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||95 %|