Cream adds a smooth, silky texture to the sauce in this meal with a light touch of Moroccan seasoning. Add a glass of milk and dinner is ready in 20 minutes.
- Prep: 5 min
- Cooking: 15 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups (1 L) fresh or frozen cauliflower florets (thawed and drained if frozen)
- 1 cup (250 mL) drained rinsed, canned chickpeas
- 1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp (10 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 10 % cream
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup (250 mL) whole wheat couscous
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh coriander or fresh parsley
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it's made with 100% Canadian quality milk that meets some of the highest standards in the world.
Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Melt butter and brown chicken, turning once, for about 3 min per side. Stir in tomatoes, cauliflower, chick peas, 1 tsp (5 mL) cumin, cinnamon. Add salt and pepper to taste; bring to a boil.
Whisk flour into cream and stir into skillet; reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, for about 7 min or until chicken is no longer pink inside and sauce is slightly thickened. Stir in lemon juice and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Meanwhile, in a small covered saucepan, bring 2 cups (500 mL) water to a boil over high heat; stir in couscous, lemon zest and remaining cumin. Remove from heat, cover and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 5 min. Fluff with fork.
Divide couscous among 4 serving plates or bowls; spoon chicken mixture on top. Sprinkle with fresh coriander.
Any leftovers can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave oven on Medium (50%) power until hot.
For a quick lunch idea, combine remaining chick peas with diced Canadian Gouda cheese, shredded carrot and sliced green onion. Sprinkle with lemon juice and olive oil; season to taste with salt and pepper.
For the Adventurous: Stir in1/3 cup (80 mL) raisins and/or dried apricots, with the cream. Sprinkle 2 tbsp (30 mL) shelled pistachios on top with fresh coriander.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||14 % / 157 mg|
|Vitamin B6:||58 %|
|Vitamin C:||107 %|