This recipe is taken from the 1994 Milk Calendar. This is the Mushroom and Cheddar Soup recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb (450 g) fresh mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 3 cups (750 mL) chicken broth
- 2 cups (500 mL) Milk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
Melt butter in a large skillet. Sauté onion and garlic 2 to 3 min. Add mushrooms. Cook over high heat until lightly browned and any liquid has evaporated. Sprinkle flour over mushrooms. Cook 3 to 5 min until flour is just lightly browned. Add chicken broth and milk. Bring to a boil.
Add salt and pepper. Reduce heat, cover and simmer gently for 15 min. Purée soup. Return to pot. Add Cheddar cheese. Cook gently 2 min until cheese has just melted. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve, sprinkled with parsley and cheese.
If you love Cheddar cheese and want a stronger taste, use Canadian Sharp or Extra- Sharp Cheddar.
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||26 % / 389 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||33 %|