This risotto is amazingly tasty and easy to make. Great the next day, too.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 4 cups (1 L) chicken broth
- 1 cup (250 mL) dry white wine or additional broth
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 4 cups (750 mL) sliced mushrooms
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 cups (500 mL) Arborio or Italian-style rice
- Pepper to taste
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) shredded Canadian Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) chopped parsley
In medium saucepan, combine chicken broth and wine and bring to a boil. Cover with lid and turn off heat.
In large saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium-high heat until butter melts. Add mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice and cook 1 minute.
Gradually add stock-wine liquid by 1 cup (250 mL) amounts while constantly stirring. Cook until rice is tender but still slight firm, about 20 minutes.
Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. If serving immediately, stir in Cheddar and Parmesan cheese and parsley.
Cooking Club Tip:Do not add cheeses or parsley. Cool, divide into portions, label with recipe name, date and cooking instructions. Package cheeses and parsley separately. When ready to serve, cover and heat in the microwave. You might need to add additional chicken broth when reheating. Sprinkle with cheeses and parsley.