This is the Mussel Soup au Gratin with Saffron and Canadian-Swiss recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 25 min - 30 min
- 16 mussels (4 per serving)
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter
- 2 oz (60 g) leeks julienned
- 2 oz (60 g) carrots in small dice
- 2 oz (60 g) celery in small dice
- 2 oz (60 g) onion chopped
- 1 tsp (5 mL) garlic minced
- 4 fresh tomatoes
- 3 1/2 cups (875 mL) fish stock
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) whipping cream 35 %
- 1 pinch saffron
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 garlic croutons
- 4 oz (120 g) Canadian Canadian-Swiss cheese grated
Cook mussels, shell them, set aside. Reserve cooking liquid.
In a saucepan, sauté in butter leeks, carrots, celery, onion and garlic until all the liquid has evaporated. Add tomatoes (peeled, seeded and diced) and cook for a little longer. Add fish stock, mussel cooking liquid, cream and saffron. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Place mussels in bowls and pour hot soup over them. Float garlic croutons on soup, cover with Canadian Canadian-Swiss cheese and brown in oven.
Jean Soulard, Executive Chef, Le Château Frontenac