This is the Onion Soup with Sharp Cheddar and Swiss Cheese recipe.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 40 min
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 8 cups (2 L) red onions thinly sliced
- 1 cup (250 mL) sweet potato grated
- 1 cup (250 mL) red wine
- 4 cups (1 L) low-sodium beef broth
- 1 - 2 tsp (5-10 mL) fresh rosemary chopped
- 6 slices of white bread toasted
- 4 1/2 oz (135 g) Canadian Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 4 1/2 oz (135 g) Canadian Swiss cheese shredded
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook onions 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add sweet potato and cook for 3–4 minutes.
Deglaze with red wine and reduce by half. Add broth and rosemary, bring to a boil and let simmer 15 minutes.
Preheat oven to 450 °F (230 °C).
Divide soup among oven-safe bowls, top each with a slice of toasted bread and a handful of both cheeses. Place bowls on a baking sheet and cook in the oven until cheese is melted and golden. Serve immediately.
Cheese alternatives: Canadian Raclette, Medium Cheddar.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||28 % / 313 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||42 %|