This is the Papillotes of Herbed Fish with Gouda recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 5 min - 8 min
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried oregano
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme or 1 tsp (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf broken into 4 pieces
- 4 fillets of salmon or Your choice of white fish (sole, turbot, haddock, etc.) about 5 oz each
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) fish stock or chicken broth
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 cup (250 mL) shredded Canadian Gouda
DID YOU KNOW?
When you see the Blue Cow Logo on a product, it means it’s made with 100% Canadian quality milk.LEARN MORE
Preheat barbecue (or oven) to 425°F (220 °C). Cut out 4 large squares each of parchment paper and foil. Place paper on foil (to keep fish from sticking).
Place a sprig of oregano, a sprig of thyme and 1/4 bay leaf on each square of paper. Place a fish fillet on each square.
In a bowl, stir together shallot, garlic, parsley, mustard, broth, salt and pepper. Divide mixture evenly among fillets. Top with cheese.
Fold up each papillote and seal. Barbecue (or bake) for 5 to 8 minutes. To serve, place contents of each papillote on a plate, and accompany with a garden vegetable salad.
Variations Can also be cooked in microwave oven. Instead of making individual papillotes, place all ingredients in a shallow microwave-safe dish, cover with a lid or a plastic wrap and microwave on high for 7 to 8 minutes.
Weekend Version: Choose a fancier fish (like halibut, trout or mahi-mahi) and add 1/4 cup (60 mL) of white wine instead of broth.
For a change of taste, replace Canadian Gouda with Edam, Medium Cheddar or Monterey Jack.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving