A perfect balance of zesty tomato sauce and rich cream served with your favourite pasta. A quick meal for weeknight dinners or for entertaining guests. This recipe is taken from the 1991 Milk Calendar.
- Prep: 10 min
- Cooking: 15 min - 20 min
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) butter
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) Milk
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) tomatoes broken up with juices
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) tomato paste
- 1 tsp (5 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- of hot red chili flakes
- 3/4 lb (340 g) tubular pasta or corkscrew pasta (approx. 4 cups/ 1 L)
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) butter
- 1 cup (250 mL) grated Canadian Parmesan cheese
- 3 green onions chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh parsley
Melt butter in a large saucepan. Add garlic, cook without browning a few min until fragrant. Stir in flour. Cook gently, stirring, 2 to 3 min. Whisk in milk. Bring to the boil, reduce heat. Cook 3 to 4 min. Stir constantly.
Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and hot red chili flakes. Cook gently another 5 to 6 min.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water.
Drain pasta well and immediately toss with tomato sauce, butter and Parmesan cheese. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Sprinkle each serving with green onions and parsley.