This is the Pear, Pecan and Queso Fresco Appetizers recipe.
- Prep: 15 min
- Cooking: 20 min - 25 min
- 1 tsp (5 mL) butter
- 2 cups (500 mL) Bartlett pears peeled and diced
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) pecans in pieces
- 8 large slices of multi-grain crusty bread
- 6 oz (180 g) Fresk-O Queso Fresco Cheese sliced into 8 rectangles
Preheat oven to 425 °F (220 °C).
In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt butter and cook pears with brown sugar and vanilla extract for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, place pecans in an oven-safe baking dish and the bread slices on a baking sheet. Toast in the oven for 5–7 minutes. Reserve.
Purée pear mixture until smooth.
Raise oven temperature to broil. Place cheese slices on a baking sheet and broil in the oven until hot and golden brown.
Top toasted bread slices with grilled cheese and hot or cold pear compote, and sprinkle with toasted pecans. Serve at once.
The pear compote may be made in advance, but the Queso Fresco cheese needs to be served hot to be at its best.
Learn more about
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||15 % / 162 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||19 %|