This recipe is taken from the 2002 Milk Calendar. A splendid combination- tender pork chops topped with a savoury creamy sauce and juicy sliced of apple.
- Prep: 20 min
- Cooking: 30 min
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter or olive oil
- 2 1/4 lb (1 Kg) bone-in pork loin chops (about 1-inch/ 2 1/2 cm thick)
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 medium apples peeled, cored and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp (10 mL) dried oregano or 2 tbsp (30 mL) chopped fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) apple juice or white wine
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) 35 % cream
- Chopped green onion or fresh chives
Preheat oven to 350 °F (180 °C).
Melt butter in a non-stick skillet over high heat. Add pork chops and cook for 2 to 3 min on each side or until browned. Place in shallow baking dish in single layer.
In the same skillet, over medium heat, cook onion and apples for 3 min. Add garlic, oregano, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, for 2 min more. Deglaze with apple juice and scrape bottom of pan; cook until most of the liquid has evaporated.
Whisk flour into cream; stir into skillet. Bring to a simmer; spoon over chops and bake, uncovered, for about 20 min or until just a hint of pink remains in pork.
Sprinkle with green onions.
For the Adventurous: Add 1/3 cup (80 mL) dried cranberries, prunes or apricots and 2 tsp (10 mL) Dijon mustard when adding the garlic.
Learn more about
Nutritional informationPer serving
Top 5 Nutrients
|Calcium:||4 % / 42 mg|
|Vitamin B12:||31 %|
|Vitamin B6:||29 %|